Subject: bug#43406: Emacs 27.1 memory consumption grows indefinitely

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 16:40:00 -0400

Hi Ludovic,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Since I upgraded to Emacs 27.1, its memory consumption grows without
> bounds, to the point that it gets OOM-killed after just a couple of
> hours (meaning that it’s used most of the 16G of RAM of my laptop!).
>
> Does that ring a bell to anyone?  I have 50+ ^emacs- packages in my
> profile; any clues on what could be the cause before diving further?

Here's another data point: although I haven't paid attention to the
memory consumption of Emacs 27.1, I've used it successfully for at least
10 hours at a time (probably more) on my X200 with only 4G of RAM.  I
use 'emacs-no-x-toolkit' with only a few emacs packages:

  emacs-no-x-toolkit
  emacs-paredit
  emacs-magit
  emacs-geiser
  emacs-org-caldav
  emacs-nov-el
  notmuch

I haven't actually used 'emacs-org-caldav' or 'emacs-nov-el' recently.
Paredit, Geiser, Magit, and Notmuch's Emacs mail client are the only
out-of-tree Emacs packages that I actively use.

     Mark  (boring Emacs user :)