Subject: Re: bug#43406: Emacs 27.1 memory consumption grows indefinitely

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 18:48:26 +0200

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I believe believe helm-ff cache came with Helm 3.6.4.
>
> I find it slow (and not so useful?) so I've disabled it with:
>
> (setq helm-ff-keep-cached-candidates nil)

Michael Rohleder <[email-masked]> skribis:

> What helped me was disabling it with:
> (setq helm-ff-keep-cached-candidates nil)

I definitely helps, thanks!

I seem to have something else leaking still, but this time it’s
primarily Gnus and/or EIEIO:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
- command-execute                                       1,117,368,135  88%
 - call-interactively                                   1,117,276,295  88%
  - funcall-interactively                               1,116,838,121  88%
   - gnus-group-save-newsrc                               460,241,156  36%
    - gnus-save-newsrc-file                               460,241,156  36%
     - gnus-run-hooks                                     429,283,350  34%
      - apply                                             429,283,350  34%
       - run-hooks                                        429,283,350  34%
        - gnus-registry-save                              429,283,350  34%
         - eieio-persistent-save                          427,938,700  33%
          - apply                                         427,938,700  33%
           + #<compiled 0x6005bf1>                        427,938,700  33%
         + gnus-registry--munge-group-names                 1,340,064   0%
         + gnus-message                                         3,530   0%
     + gnus-gnus-to-quick-newsrc-format                    20,126,054   1%
     + save-buffer                                          9,613,098   0%
     + gnus-agent-save-local                                  595,652   0%
     + gnus-gnus-to-newsrc-format                             577,848   0%
     + gnus-group-set-mode-line                                 6,458   0%
     + gnus-message                                             3,736   0%
     + gnus-dribble-delete-file                                 3,352   0%
       gnus-get-buffer-create                                   2,138   0%
     + gnus-prune-buffers                                       1,056   0%
   - gnus-topic-read-group                                208,616,775  16%
    - gnus-group-read-group                               208,616,775  16%
     - gnus-summary-read-group                            208,616,775  16%
      - gnus-summary-read-group-1                         208,616,775  16%
       - gnus-run-hooks                                   163,821,469  13%
        - apply                                           163,821,469  13%
         - run-hooks                                      163,821,469  13%
          - spam-find-spam                                162,365,376  12%
           - mapcar                                       162,328,432  12%
            + #<compiled 0x86338dd>                       162,328,432  12%
           + gnus-parameter-spam-autodetect                    35,888   0%
           + gnus-parameter-spam-autodetect-methods             1,056   0%
          + gnus-apply-kill-file                            1,456,093   0%
       + gnus-select-newsgroup                             31,456,212   2%
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Any cache to turn off?  :-)

Ludo’.