Subject: bug#43403: Blender crashes on clicking 'Video Editing'. Segmentation fault

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 03:09:29 -0400

[email-masked] writes:

> Hi! I had workable blender long time ago when I used it (in
> summer). Now, it crashes every time I click 'Video Editing' from menu.

I also see crashes with essentially the same backtrace that you
provided, but in my case I'm using Blender 2.79b and it doesn't crash
until I try to import a video file.

With Blender 2.79b, I'm able to reproduce the crash as follows.
>From a freshly launched session (using the default start-up file):

(1) Press 'Enter' to dismiss the splash screen

(2) Select the pop-up menu at the bottom left corner of the screen,
    to change the editor type of the main area from a "3D View" to
    a "Video Sequence Editor".

(3) From the "Add" menu (bottom, near the left corner), select "Movie".

(4) From the file chooser, choose a local video file.  (I tried a webm
    file with vp8 and vorbis, and an mkv file with h264+opus).

After selecting a file, blender 2.79b immediately crashes with terminal
output and backtrace similar to that provided by znavko.  In my case,
the precise contents of /tmp/blender.crash.txt is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
# Blender 2.79 (sub 0), Unknown revision
bpy.context.area.type = 'SEQUENCE_EDITOR'  # Property

# backtrace
blender(BLI_system_backtrace+0x20) [0x135dee0]
blender() [0x9efc6b]
/gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31/lib/libc.so.6(+0x36b20) [0x7fbc34f0bb20]
/gnu/store/qj9rmsl0v75vjlcc6qpbn6zqikhvjv4m-ffmpeg-4.3.1/lib/libswscale.so.5(+0x6dcba) [0x7fbc35608cba]
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This is using /gnu/store/g38wlzamzpq8nls0pl9fi1q5vx94agd7-blender-2.79b,
built locally using a slightly modified Guix based on commit
098593e61d0e3ddd8b3dc2225301d6020bf9446b on the master branch (Sep 7).

       Mark