Subject: bug#43876: closed (Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 15:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43389: Emacs uses excessive memory

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43389: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43389
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:40:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> Eli, do you think it should go to `emacs-27`?
> Definitely, thanks.

OK, done.

Trevor: I marked this bug as closed under the assumption that this
problem is solved, but of course, if it re-occurs feel free to re-open
(ideally while running under GDB in a similar setup, so we get a clear
backtrace again ;-)

        Stefan

Subject: Emacs uses excessive memory
From: Naveed Chehrazi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 19:53:02 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I had two instances where my emacs was using an excessive amount of memory
(once about 45GiB, and once using 94GiB). I have the memory-profiler report
below. It appears that helm package is the cause, however I was not able to
find out how I can report this issue to helm package maintainers. I would
appreciate it if you can provide instruction for resolving the problem.
Please also let me know if you need more information.

Best regards,

Naveed

OS:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Release: 18.04

emacs is installed via snap:
emacs                 27.1                   857   latest/stable
 alexmurray  classic

Output of memory profiler:
- command-execute                                          45,211,763  93%
 - call-interactively                                      45,211,763  93%
  - funcall-interactively                                  45,210,707  93%
   - helm-M-x                                              45,210,707  93%
    - helm-M-x-read-extended-command                       45,210,707  93%
     - helm                                                44,908,519  93%
      - apply                                              44,907,495  93%
       - helm                                              44,906,439  93%
        - apply                                            44,906,439  93%
         - helm-internal                                   44,906,439  93%
          - helm-read-pattern-maybe                        33,969,278  70%
           - read-from-minibuffer                          31,370,347  65%
            - timer-event-handler                          23,467,065  48%
             - apply                                       23,429,537  48%
              - #<compiled 0x155763cf6569>                 23,411,081  48%
               + helm-check-minibuffer-input               23,402,809  48%
               + internal--before-save-selected-window          4,136   0%
                org-ref-link-message                            8,216   0%
              + blink-cursor-start                              4,736   0%
              + helm-ff--cache-mode-refresh                     3,168   0%
              + show-paren-function                             1,280   0%
              + auto-revert-buffers                             1,056   0%
             + timer-activate                                  15,408   0%
             + timer-activate-when-idle                         9,504   0%
             + timer-inc-time                                   8,264   0%
               timer-until                                      1,120   0%
            + command-execute                                 592,496   1%
            + redisplay_internal (C function)                 157,944   0%
            + helm--update-header-line                         67,084   0%
            + helm-ff--cache-mode-reset-timer                  13,656   0%
            + #<compiled 0x155ca2e7d809>                       10,496   0%
            + minibuffer-inactive-mode                          4,224   0%
            + which-key--hide-popup                             3,168   0%
              beacon--vanish                                    2,112   0%
            + global-eldoc-mode-check-buffers                   1,056   0%
            + beacon--post-command                              1,056   0%
            + blink-cursor-end                                  1,056   0%
              tooltip-hide                                        160   0%
           + helm-update                                      643,349   1%
           + thing-at-point                                     3,122   0%
           + helm-get-candidate-number                          1,056   0%
          + helm-display-buffer                             5,484,524  11%
          + #<compiled 0x155763d0097d>                      3,540,114   7%
          + helm-execute-selection-action                   1,897,079   3%
          + helm-initialize                                    11,308   0%
          + advice-add                                          4,136   0%
        helm-parse-keys                                         1,024   0%
     + helm-make-source                                       297,820   0%
     + run-at-time                                                232   0%
+ timer-event-handler                                       2,638,134   5%
+ redisplay_internal (C function)                             236,482   0%
+ flyspell-post-command-hook                                   11,688   0%
+ preview-move-point                                            2,192   0%
+ helm-ff--cache-mode-reset-timer                               1,072   0%
  ...                                                               0   0%