Subject: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time

From: Trevor Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 20:33:20 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
 
> Do we have a `profiler-report` available for those 15 minutes? 
> I've taken a quick look at the massive threads in that bug 
> report, but haven't had the time to read in detail.  AFAICT we 
> don't have a profiler output for those 15minutes, so it would be 
> good to try: 
> 
>     M-x profiler-start RET RET M-x garbage-collect RET     ;; 
>     This should presumably take several minutes M-x 
>     profiler-report RET 
> 
> and then shows us this report (using C-u RET on the top-level 
> elements to unfold them). 

I made one a profiler report for a complete 1-2 day session (see 
the e-mail referencing "mtrace3"), but none for just garbage 
collection.  I'll do that for the next one.

Is there any easy way to check if any of my packages are adding 
extra hooks around garbage-collect?  I can't imagine why they 
would, but you never know.

Thanks

-Trevor