Subject: Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time

From: Trevor Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 22:50:37 +0100

Trevor Bentley <[email-masked]> writes:

I'm back with 5 mtraces:

https://trevorbentley.com/mtrace/

Keep in mind that these things compress well, so the largest one 
is on the order of 45GB when decompressed.

These are from various emacs instances, some running the 
emacs-slack package and others just editing elisp code.  All 
inflated to several gigabytes of heap over 1-4 days.

Log files similar to the ones I've been posting in this thread are 
in the archives.  I don't think there's any point of including 
them here anymore, as they're all about the same.

I've been too busy to modify emacs to print garbage collects, but 
these still show really long (garbage-collect) calls, often 
exceeding 15 minutes.

Last thing: I've had one unused (graphical) emacs session running 
for 16 days now, minimized.  It's still at 57MB RSS.  I can 
definitively say that the leak doesn't occur unless emacs is 
actively used, for all the good that does us.

-Trevor