Subject: Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks

From: Russell Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 13:37:37 +0100

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 03:24:27AM +0000, Jose A. Ortega Ruiz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08 2020, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>
> > shut it down normally).  I'm sure that at least a significant part of
> > the problem materialized while using (more or less only) Gnus.
>
> I also have anecdotal evidence of that.  Quite systematically, i start
> emacs, things load, i'm around 300Mb or RAM, quite stable.  Then i start
> Gnus, read some groups, and, ver soon after that, while emacs is
> basically idle, i can see RAM increasing by ~10Mb every ~10secs until it
> reaches something like 800-900Mb.

I have consistently encountered this memory leak without a clear path
to reproducing it other than regular use over time, and I don't use
Gnus. I read mail in Mutt in another terminal window.

Thus I'm not sure Gnus is the culprit.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Russell Adams                            [email-masked]

PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/

Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3