Subject: Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks

From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 03:24:27 +0000

On Tue, Dec 08 2020, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> shut it down normally).  I'm sure that at least a significant part of
> the problem materialized while using (more or less only) Gnus.

I also have anecdotal evidence of that.  Quite systematically, i start
emacs, things load, i'm around 300Mb or RAM, quite stable.  Then i start
Gnus, read some groups, and, ver soon after that, while emacs is
basically idle, i can see RAM increasing by ~10Mb every ~10secs until it
reaches something like 800-900Mb.  

I've checked and i think the only timer with a periodicity of 10secs
always present when that happens is undo-auto--boundary-timer.
(Sometimes there's also slack-ws-ping, which checks that a websocket
connection is open, but i think i've seen this behaviour without that
timer on).

I'm sorry i don't have the time to obtain better benchmark data. Just
mentioning the above in case it rings a bell to someone knowledgeable.

Cheers,
jao