Subject: Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 13:45:38 +0300

Hello,

My good-by function took this time abut 7 minutes with swap being
about 650 MB. Swap was constantly less than 200 MB. Then without me
doing something special, maybe I was idling, swap grew to 650
MB. That is where I invoked the function:

((uptime "8 hours, 56 minutes, 27 seconds") (pid 14637) (garbage ((conses 16 2191203 1613364) (symbols 48 52843 237) (strings 32 301705 122437) (string-bytes 1 9982401) (vectors 16 99828) (vector-slots 8 1856426 1471952) (floats 8 738 5008) (intervals 56 180891 252942) (buffers 984 343))) (buffers-size 38553249) (vsize (vsize 3268444)))

One can see larger vsize of 3.12 G

Largest buffer is PDF of 5394959, the 4322895, 3706662, and so on.

I have tried deleting some buffers with M-x list-buffers:

- few largest buffers I have deleted without problem

- I have tried deleting my Org file with size 966405 and when I
  pressed D nothing was shown on screen, rather hard disk started
  working and it looks by behavior related to memory or swapping

- screen came back and I could press x to delete those buffers.

- even those some deleted buffers were deleted with x, at next click
  on Size in list-buffers I could again find the deleted buffers in
  the list. This is probably unrelated bug. I pressed x again and they
  disappeared. But what if they were not realy delete first time?

I will work little more in this session and will then provide mtrace
for pid 14637.

If anything else to be provided let me know.

Jean