Subject: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks

From: Russell Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 17:54:36 +0100

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 06:34:31PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:42:19 +0100
> > From: Russell Adams <[email-masked]>
> >
> > So my emacs grew to 8GB in RAM, and what was curious is if it was a
> > background task (not window focused on an emacsclient), then the
> > memory stayed the same. When I had the window focused, I could watch
> > the memory constantly increasing in htop a few megs at a time.
>
> Was the memory increasing even when you did nothing in the session?
> If so, do you have some background functions running, e.g. timers?  If
> Emacs was not idle, can you describe what you were doing at that time?

At one point I was watching htop and every time I switched to the
Emacs window and returned to htop, I'd see it grow by several more MB
over 3-5 seconds and then stop. So I left Emacs as the focused window
overnight, and it grew from 4GB to 8GB.

In this instance, I had my cursor at the bottom of a saved Org file. I
wasn't even actively typing or interacting with Emacs. I just grew
each time it got window focus.

Yes I have a few timers, but those trip at midnight. I call org-agenda
and org-caldev-sync. I don't have any other timers that I know of.

Mind you I'm running daemon mode and I'm looking at an emacsclient
frame.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Russell Adams                            [email-masked]

PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/

Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3