Subject: Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time

From: Trevor Bentley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 21:43:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Oh!  Well, yes, it is there then.  I didn't realize you can 
>> echo  without going to *Messages*.  It's extremely 
>> fleeting... is there  some way to persist these messages? 
> 
> But if GC is taking minutes, you should be seeing the first of 
> these 2 messages sitting in the echo area for the full duration 
> of those minutes.  So how can they be so ephemeral in your case? 

Yes, for the long ones I expect to see the message hang in the 
echo area.  I was just hoping to also see when it is GC'ing in 
general (if it is GCi'ng in general, since it's behaving so 
weirdly).  A timestamped log of every time garbage-collect runs 
would be great.  Maybe I can do that with "(add-function :around 
...)".

The long garbage-collect doesn't happen until I'm in exploding 
memory mode.  I recently restarted emacs, so right now a GC is 
instantaneous.  I'll let you know how it goes next time the memory 
runs away.

-Trevor