Subject: Re: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time

From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 20:49:48 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked]
>> Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 19:34:26 +0100
>> 
>> >> This has to be something introduced fairly recently, right?
>> >
>> > Maybe, I'm not sure.  Since we introduced the pdumper, we use malloc
>> > somewhat differently, and OTOH glibc removed some of the malloc hooks
>> > we used to use in versions of Emacs before 26.  In addition, glibc is
>> > also being developed, and maybe some change there somehow triggered
>> > this.
>> It has past long since v 26, and pdumber as well :-) You know I am
>> rebuilding all the time and am on relatively latest master so I would
>> have noticed it earlier, so it must be something since last month or so,
>
> Not necessarily.  This problem seems to happen rarely, and not for
> everyone.  So it's entirely possible you didn't see it by sheer luck.
Of course, but why would I suddently start to experience it? Neither my
usage pattern not even Emacs or system configuration changed at that
time.Can't be just shear luck, I haven'tdone anything differently that I
wasn't doing 2 or 6 months before; same ol; just newer master & system
updates.

The only thing that changed regularly was of course system updates: kernel,
gcc & co etc. So it maybe is as mentioned earlier in this thread by
either you or somebody else is that glibc changed and that maybe
triggers something in Emacs based on how Emacs use it. I don't know I am
not expert in this. Isn't Valgrind good for this kind of problems? Can I
run emacs as a systemd service in Valgrind?