Subject: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 16:27:52 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2020-11-22 23:17]:
> > Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 22:52:14 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > 
> > I am now following this strategy here:
> > https://github.com/jemalloc/jemalloc/wiki/Use-Case%3A-Leak-Checking
> 
> That uses a different implementation of malloc, so I'm not sure it
> will help us.

This is how I have run the shorter Emacs session until it got blocked:

MTRACE_CTL_VERBOSE=1 MTRACE_CTL_FILE=/home/data1/protected/tmp/mtraceEMACS.mtr LD_PRELOAD=/home/data1/protected/Programming/git/glibc-malloc-trace-utils/libmtrace.so emacs >> $DEBUG 2>&1

And here is mtrace:

https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2020-11-23/mtraceEMACS.mtr.9294.lz

I cannot run Emacs that way as something happens and Emacs get
blocked. Problem arrives with M-s M-w to search for anything on
Internet with eww. Anything blocks. And I get message:

error in process filter: Quit

after that C-g does not work, I cannot kill buffer, I cannot save the
current work or other buffers, I cannot switch from buffer to buffer
neither open any menu.

Debugging requires longer run sessions and actual work in Emacs.

This happens all the time when I run Emacs like the above example
command.

Unless there is safer way for debugging the above one is not
functional as it blocks everything and I do use incidentally or
accidentally eww in the work.

I hope that something will be visible from that mtrace.