Subject: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks using hard disk all time

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 11:11:22 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> [2020-11-22 23:17]:
> > Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 22:52:14 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> >   [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > 
> > I am now following this strategy here:
> > https://github.com/jemalloc/jemalloc/wiki/Use-Case%3A-Leak-Checking
> 
> That uses a different implementation of malloc, so I'm not sure it
> will help us.

It will not help if you are able to interpret the PDF reports and you
do not see anything helpful. If you do interpret those PDF reports
please tell me as such could be useful to find possible causes or find
other issues in Emacs.

Does this here tells you anything?
https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2020-11-22/jeprof.26889.0.f.heap.pdf

Does this add module isra.0 inside tells you anything?
https://gnu.support/files/tmp/2020-11-22/jeprof.26922.0.f.heap.pdf

I am using dynamic modules like vterm and libpq, can that influence
memory or create memory leaks?

What is tst_post_reentrancy_raw, is that something that eats memory?

I am still running this session with jemalloc and I wish to see if
anything will happen that blocks the work similar how it blocks with
the normal run. This helps slightly in determination. As if run of
Emacs with jemalloc does not cause problems one time, maybe 2-5 times
or 10 times, that may be deduce problem to standard malloc and not
Emacs.

Then in the next session I will try again the tools as described and
submit data.

To help me understand, do you think problem is in Emacs or in glibc
malloc?