Subject: bug#43389: 28.0.50; Emacs memory leaks

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 17:47:22 +0200

> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 01:33:17 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>   Russell Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> It was happening regularly under EXWM. Memory get occupied more and
> more and more until it does not go any more, swapping becomes tedious
> and computer becomes non-responsive. Then I had to kill it. By using
> symon-mode I could see swapping of 8 GB and more. My memory is 4 GB
> plus 8 GB swap currently.
> 
> This similar condition takes place only after keeping Emacs long in
> memory like maybe 5-8 hours.
> 
> After putting laptop to sleep it happens more often.
> 
> When I changed to IceWM this happened only once.

If this was due to a WM, are you sure it was Emacs that was eating up
memory, and not the WM itself?  If it was Emacs, then I think the only
way it could depend on the WM is if the WM feeds Emacs with many X
events that somehow consume memory.

Michael, what WM are you using.