Subject: bug#43369: Emacs fails to configure on ARM Macs

From: Itai Seggev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 02:39:46 -0500

Hi.

Out of the box, that is, using master (specifically SHA 18f390af8f11d24c)
./configure fails when building on an ARM Mac.  The problem is that the
canonical triple has the form aarch64-apple-darwin20.1.0, but configure.ac is
looking for a triple of the form arm-*.

After changing arm to aarach64, I was able to build successfully both a Cocoa
and X11 versions (the latter pretty minimal, given that toolkits are still
being ported).

Here is the diff for ease of refence:

diff --git a/configure.ac b/configure.ac
index 33948fd776..40b63905ab 100644
--- a/configure.ac
+++ b/configure.ac
@@ -724,7 +724,7 @@ AC_DEFUN
   *-apple-darwin* )
     case "${canonical}" in
       *-apple-darwin[0-9].*) unported=yes ;;
-      i[3456]86-* | x86_64-* | arm-* )  ;;
+      i[3456]86-* | x86_64-* | aarch64-* )  ;;
       * )            unported=yes ;;
     esac
     opsys=darwin

--
Itai

In 1997 a group of programmers started writing a desktop environment to fix a
travesty they didn't create.  Their program promptly found its way onto un*x
systems everywhere. Today, still opposed by a software monopolist, they survive
as soldiers of fortune.  If you share their vision, if you know you can help,
and if you can connect to internet, maybe you can join... the K-Team.