Subject: Linux kernel 5.8.8 and newer

From: Bureau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 17:35:00 +0200

Hello,

Since kernel 5.8.8, parted gives the following error message each time 
parted attempts to modify something on the disk.

libparted 3.3
Partition(s) 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 
21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 
39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 
57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 
75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 
93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 
109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 
123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128 on /dev/sda have been written, but we have 
been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they 
are in use.  As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use.  You 
should reboot now before making further changes.

In the example above, my disk contains 4 real partitions.
This bug appears on all the computers I have tried here.
Is this a new kernel feature or a parted bug?

Best regards.

Alain