Subject: Re: bug#43329: 28.0.50; Incorrect indentation for variables starting with `def' in let form

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:26:27 +0200

Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> writes:

> In the scratch buffer, enter
>
> (let ((defa
>        foo)))
>
> and reindent the second line.  Emacs will insert an additional space
> before `foo' so that the `f' is now below the `e'.  This seems to happen
> only for variables starting with `def' (but not `def' itself).

Yes, the Emacs Lisp indentation machinery assumes that everything that
starts with "def" is a macro that defines something.  That's pretty
quirky, but it's been that way since forever, so it's probably too late
to do something about that now.

It should, however, be possible to do something about this in a `let'
form, you'd think.  But I've tried to find the place where this happens
(I was looking at it just the other day!), but my grep skills fail me.

Anybody remember which function this happens in?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no