Subject: Re: bug#43322: Confusing menu entry for cua-mode

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:30:21 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 17:41:13 -0700
>>
>> The menu item for cua-mode is, I claim unhelpfully, called "Shift
>> movement mark region (CUA)".  I am unable to parse what this even means
>> -- I thought it was about C-x and C-v, etc.?
>
> This doesn't appear by default, so the problem is not an acute one.
>
> I think there's a typo there: it should say
>
>   Shift movement marks the region (CUA)

Ah, right, it's only enabled if cua-enable-cua-keys is nil...

    (bindings--define-key menu [cua-emulation-mode]
      (menu-bar-make-mm-toggle
       cua-mode
       "Shift movement mark region (CUA)"
       "Use shifted movement keys to set and extend the region"
       (:visible (and (boundp 'cua-enable-cua-keys)
		      (not cua-enable-cua-keys)))))

But even fixing the typo here seems like it produce the incorrect
result, because AFAICT the region is already extended using <S-left> in
"emacs -Q"?