Subject: bug#43321: closed (Re: [PATCH] gnu: Fix a crash in NTP and Chrony.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 19:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43321: programs depending on libcap 2.31 are crashing (including ntpd, chrony, and potentially others)

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43321: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43321
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Fix a crash in NTP and Chrony.
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 15:48:35 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I tested on bare metal and virtualized x86-64 with NTP.

The bug reporter [0] tested that the fix worked for Chrony.

Pushed as 898fbb60b2354e82e5b7f259b44dbfed112a83aa

[0] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43321#5

Subject: programs depending on libcap 2.31 are crashing (including ntpd, chrony, and potentially others)
From: Jesse Dowell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 17:06:55 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I am experiencing issues with ntpd crashing after a recent `guix pull` and
`guix system reconfigure`. Messages like the following can be found in
/var/log/messages....

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost ntpd[10104]: Listen normally on 10 wlp2s0
[fda3:bae9:8e85:0:1421:58a2:ada:1923]:123
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost vmunix: [13620.607643] traps: ntpd[10104] general
protection fault ip:7fc1baa34207 sp:7ffd6b331f80 error:0 in
libcap.so.2.31[7fc1baa33000+3000]
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost ntpd[10104]: Listen normally on 11 wlp2s0
[2601:582:300:88a:58f1:d50e:9b9a:37d7]:123
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost ntpd[10104]: Listen normally on 12 wlp2s0
[fe80::487a:7283:64fd:9e25%6]:123
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost ntpd[10104]: Listen normally on 13 tun0
[fe80::7672:ef25:4507:33e7%7]:123
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost ntpd[10104]: Listening on routing socket on fd
#30 for interface updates
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost ntpd[10104]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41:
Clock Unsynchronized
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost ntpd[10104]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41:
Clock Unsynchronized
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost shepherd[1]: Service ntpd has been disabled.
Sep  9 10:04:06 localhost shepherd[1]:   (Respawning too fast.)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

At first I thought this was ntpd specific so I tried switching to chronyd
and experienced the same problem.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Sep  9 14:41:56 localhost shepherd[1]: Service chronyd has been started.
Sep  9 14:41:56 localhost chronyd[26478]: chronyd version 3.5.1 starting
(+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP +SCFILTER -SIGND +ASYNCDNS +SECHASH
+IPV6 -DEBUG)
Sep  9 14:41:56 localhost vmunix: [30290.527369] traps: chronyd[26478]
general protection fault ip:7f1653729207 sp:7fffc9161900 error:0 in
libcap.so.2.31[7f1653728000+3000]
Sep  9 14:41:56 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning chronyd.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I was able to fix the issue by rebuilding chronyd with the libcap/next
package.

To give more context - I'm using guix master and am using the latest 5.8
kernel. I'm wondering if it might be something related to recent kernel
upgrades but I haven't tried reverting to a previous kernel.

Is there a plan to go ahead and perform the switch described in the source
code for gnu/packages/linux.scm?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;; libcap 2.31 causes problems for 'fakeroot', so provide this newer
variant.
;; To be merged with libcap on the next rebuild cycle.
(define-public libcap/next
  (package
    (inherit libcap)
    (version "2.34")
    (source (origin
              (method url-fetch)
              (uri (string-append
                    "mirror://kernel.org/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/"
                    "libcap2/libcap-" version ".tar.xz"))
              (sha256
               (base32
                "048n1gy2p48vl9hkrr9wymfxxcpwj2aslz2bv79nhl4m2lhd9kdf"))))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Best,
Jesse