Subject: bug#43308: 28.0.50; Improvements to Edit->Search menu

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 22:14:00 +0300

>> But it you really don't want to remove nonincremental menu items from
>> the Edit menu then they could be swapped with incremental menu items,
>> i.e. to promote incremental menu items higher, and demote nonincremental
>> menu items deeper to the submenu where currently more often used
>> incremental menu items are located.
>
> That'd be the opposite of what the menu should be doing, which is
> putting the easier and more familiar commands closer to the top level.

TUTORIAL teaches about incremental commands:

  * SEARCHING
  -----------

  The Emacs search command is "incremental".  This means that the
  search happens while you type in the string to search for.

  The command to initiate a search is C-s for forward search, and C-r
  for reverse search.  BUT WAIT!  Don't try them now.

  When you type C-s you'll notice that the string "I-search" appears as
  a prompt in the echo area.  This tells you that Emacs is in what is
  called an incremental search waiting for you to type the thing that
  you want to search for.  <Return> terminates a search.

  Did you see what happened?  Emacs, in an incremental search, tries to
  go to the occurrence of the string that you've typed out so far.  To
  go to the next occurrence of "cursor" just type C-s again.  If no such
  occurrence exists, Emacs beeps and tells you the search is currently
  "failing".  C-g would also terminate the search.

  If you are in the middle of an incremental search and type <DEL>, the
...

so this is what newbies need to know and use from the menu.