Subject: bug#43308: 28.0.50; Improvements to Edit->Search menu

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 21:36:31 +0300

>> > If you are suggesting a "repeat last search" menu item, it could be a
>> > useful idea.  But removing those items because we don't have a simple
>> > repeat item is a step in the wrong direction, IMO.
>> 
>> This is a separate discussion, I think, but on graphical displays I
>> would ideally like to see a user interface like the one in C-f Firefox.
>> It shows clickable buttons for next/previous match, toggles for "Match
>> Case", "Whole Words" and how many matches there are.
>
> Improving the (non-existing) search dialog is a separate discussion.
> If you want to work on such a dialog, please do.  but that is not what
> we are talking here.

I think there is no need in such dialog because when Isearch is active,
there is the isearch-specific tool-bar and Isearch submenu in the menu bar.

> The proposal on the table is to remove non-incremental search commands
> from the Search menu.

There is a menu item in the Isearch submenu named "Nonincremental search".

But it you really don't want to remove nonincremental menu items from
the Edit menu then they could be swapped with incremental menu items,
i.e. to promote incremental menu items higher, and demote nonincremental
menu items deeper to the submenu where currently more often used
incremental menu items are located.