Subject: Re: bug#43300: [PATCH] Make M-x show new commands for obsolete aliases

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 18:36:59 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I find myself going back and forth: with the new filtering, there is
> suddenly a hope that `M-x' can produce a clean list of useful commands.

Yeah, that's true -- `M-x gnus-summary-toggle-truncation' is pretty
annoying to have appear here (it's an obsolete alias)...  On the other
hand, it could be tagged with a mode (somehow) and that would also make
it go away (outside of Gnus summary buffers).

> The feature discussed here makes the list less clean, for reasons that
> are only temporarily useful.  This is compounded by the fact that we
> maintain backwards compatibility aliases for such a long time.  But of
> course there are also benefits to this more gentle obsoletion, as you
> say.
>
> Here's an idea:
>
> How about showing only obsolete aliases that are new in this major
> version?  That could give us almost all the benefits without any of the
> drawbacks.

Hm!  That's a pretty attractive option.  So commands deprecate faster
than functions...  makes sense to me.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no