Subject: Re: bug#43300: [PATCH] Make M-x show new commands for obsolete aliases

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 09:35:53 -0600

unarchive 43300
reopen 43300
thanks

(This bug is about showing obsolete aliases for commands in the list of
completion candidates.)

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> FWIW, I tend to lean towards maintaining the old behavior here.
> I also note that Stefan Monnier didn't particularly like the new
> behavior, as it doesn't discourage users enough from not using the
> commands.  So maybe we could meet him half-way and maintain the old
> behavior, even if only for some cases.
> See: https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2020-09/msg01102.html

I dropped the ball here a little bit, but I note that Stefan Monnier did
not like the new behavior, and in hindsight (and with more experience
using this feature) I think he is correct.

I also note that the new behavior fails in cases like:

    query-replace-regexp-eval (use the `\,' feature of `query-replace-regexp'
    for interactive calls, and `search-forward-regexp'/`replace-match'
    for Lisp calls.)

IOW, even though I was the one who suggested and implemented this
feature, I now think that it was a mistake.  I would therefore suggest
reverting commit 06d86b954d2 to go back to the previous, Emacs 27
behavior.

Any objections?