Subject: 28: Combine name-spaces hi-lock and hl-line

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 13:38:44 -0400

Here a duplicate posting of several messages from the emacs-devel list so the
request doesn't get lost thereq. Should the project
decide to approve this and choose which to alias, I could do the
coding...

----- Forwarded message from Boruch Baum <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 13:51:47 -0400
From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
To: Emacs-Devel List <[email-masked]>
Subject: name-space consistency
User-Agent: NeoMutt/20180716

Slightly apropos the current thread opening discussion of things that
could be done for emacs v28...

Here's an example of an annoying and persistently vexing name-space
inconsistency: to highlight based upon a regexp in a buffer, one uses
functions from package hi-lock (that a lower-case 'i', not an 'ell') and
to highlight the current line within a buffer one uses functions from
package hl-line (that's an 'ell', not a lower-case 'i').

Unless you use both often (or have a memory superior to mine), you're
bound to mis-type hl-lock or hi-line.

Would the project consider aliasing and deprecating one of those
name-spaces? Or breaking backward-compatibility and just refactoring
one?

----- End forwarded message -----

On 2020-09-06 21:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 13:51:47 -0400
> > From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
> >
> > Unless you use both often (or have a memory superior to mine), you're
> > bound to mis-type hl-lock or hi-line.
> >
> > Would the project consider aliasing and deprecating one of those
> > name-spaces? Or breaking backward-compatibility and just refactoring
> > one?
>
> The latter is out of the question.  The former can be done if there's
> enough support for it (but expect some dispute regarding which
> variant to prefer ;-).

----- End forwarded message -----

On 2020-09-06 14:50, Boruch Baum wrote:
> At this point, the 'measured' support on the list is 100%. If you accept
> and wait for the mail-in ballots, the final results could take months...
>

----- End forwarded message -----

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0