Subject: Re: bug#43275: Upgrade antlr-mode to latest version

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 07:15:07 -0500

Dear Christoph,

The last time we discussed this was three years ago, and this fell off
my radar.  I'm hoping we could pick up the thread now.

Did you make any progress with merging the changes in Emacs into your
tree?  I think this is still blocking merging the latest version of
antlr-mode into Emacs.

I think the best workflow here is that you merge all changes you like,
release that as a new version 3.1.6, and then we can just install that
version into Emacs.

The other option is that we do the work of merging the changes and send
a new proposed version 3.1.6 to you.  Supposedly, you will then want to
release it on SourceForge.  It will be harder for you to review any
changes on the Emacs side, of course, and it will be a bit more
error-prone since the merge isn't handled by the person that knows the
code best.

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> "Wedler, Christoph" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> OK - I would basically do M-x emerge-files-with-ancestor:
>>
>> - A: my antlr-mode.el 3.1.5
>> - B: lisp/progmodes/antlr-mode.el
>> - Ancestor: lisp/progmodes/antlr-mode.el.~emacs-25.1~ (see my ChangeLog comment 2016-11-22),
>>
>> Does that sounds reasonable?
>
> I've never used that command, so I unfortunately can't help you with
> that.  Why not just give it a spin and see what happens?  :-)
>
> Another idea is to just manually look over the commits and apply them
> one by one to your sources as it makes sense.
>
>> If someone can guide me how Emacs handles git, I can probably directly push a change
>>
>> - starting at branch "master"?
>> - which branch to push to?
>
> To get commit access, you will need to apply for it on Savannah.  I'm
> not sure about the exact requirements to get commit access.
>
> If it's easier, you could send a patch here and we can push it for you.
>
>> - change comment: my ChangeLog starting at 2.2c?
>
> If you send the patch here first, we can look over the formatting.  But
> if you already have a GNU conforming ChangeLog, it sounds like a good
> idea to adapt it for Emacs.  If it's much too big to adapt, I think it's
> also okay to fall back to something like:
>
> * lisp/progmodes/antlr-mode.el: Sync with latest upstream.