Subject: Re: bug#43275: Upgrade antlr-mode to latest version

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 08:28:23 -0700

"Wedler, Christoph" <[email-masked]> writes:

> OK - I would basically do M-x emerge-files-with-ancestor:
>
> - A: my antlr-mode.el 3.1.5
> - B: lisp/progmodes/antlr-mode.el
> - Ancestor: lisp/progmodes/antlr-mode.el.~emacs-25.1~ (see my ChangeLog comment 2016-11-22),
>
> Does that sounds reasonable?

I've never used that command, so I unfortunately can't help you with
that.  Why not just give it a spin and see what happens?  :-)

Another idea is to just manually look over the commits and apply them
one by one to your sources as it makes sense.

> If someone can guide me how Emacs handles git, I can probably directly push a change
>
> - starting at branch "master"?
> - which branch to push to?

To get commit access, you will need to apply for it on Savannah.  I'm
not sure about the exact requirements to get commit access.

If it's easier, you could send a patch here and we can push it for you.

> - change comment: my ChangeLog starting at 2.2c?

If you send the patch here first, we can look over the formatting.  But
if you already have a GNU conforming ChangeLog, it sounds like a good
idea to adapt it for Emacs.  If it's much too big to adapt, I think it's
also okay to fall back to something like:

* lisp/progmodes/antlr-mode.el: Sync with latest upstream.