Subject: bug#43272: closed (Re: bug#43272: 27.1; variable-pitch-mode misaligns org-mode heading tags)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 05:42:01 +0000

Your bug report

#43272: 27.1; variable-pitch-mode misaligns org-mode heading tags

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43272: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43272
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43272: 27.1; variable-pitch-mode misaligns org-mode heading tags
From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 07:41:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but :align-to accepts values in pixels,
> so in general you could put a display property on the separating
> whitespace and request that the whitespace ends at a certain pixel
> coordinate from the left; that coordinate could somehow be computed
> from org-tags-column, for example by multiplying it by
> frame-char-width.

Thanks for the direction, I will try this.

I'm closing this report, as this is not an Emacs bug and it will be
discussed in Org's mailing list.

-- 
 Bastien

Subject: 27.1; variable-pitch-mode misaligns org-mode heading tags
From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 13:13:04 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Run 'emacs -Q'
2. Open a new Org file 'C-x C-f /tmp/test.org'
3. Insert the following contents:

* TODO this is a test                                                   :tag:
* TODO here is another test                                             :tag:

The tags should align to the right with the standard monospaced font.

4. Run 'M-x variable-pitch-mode'.
5. The tags are now misaligned.

Please see attached screenshots for the before and after states of the
'variable-pitch-mode' activation.

Running 'M-x describe-char' in the space between the heading's title and
the tag informs us that the space's face is the same as the heading's
(e.g. 'org-level-1').

I am also relaying the technical insight of Adam Spiers.  Please see
attached plain text document or visit the comment's URL:
https://gitlab.com/protesilaos/modus-themes/-/issues/85#note_407147422

Overview of my setup:

+ GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.22,
  cairo version 1.17.3) of 2020-08-14

+ Org mode version 9.3 (release_9.3 @ /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/org/)

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
protesilaos.com