Subject: bug#43272: 27.1; variable-pitch-mode misaligns org-mode heading tags

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 17:43:48 +0300

> From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 14:10:54 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I suggest you post the same report to [email-masked], where
> more Org contributors may comment and try to help.

Yes, please.

> As a comment to Adam's explorations: Org tags are not aligned with
> respect to the window margin, but wrt to `org-tags-column'.  And I
> don't think we can implement a solution without changing this, so
> that's quite a change.

Maybe I'm missing something, but :align-to accepts values in pixels,
so in general you could put a display property on the separating
whitespace and request that the whitespace ends at a certain pixel
coordinate from the left; that coordinate could somehow be computed
from org-tags-column, for example by multiplying it by
frame-char-width.