Subject: bug#43269: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] provide a user feedback on Emacs being native compiled

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 07:47:52 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andrea Corallo via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of
> text editors" <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Reviewing this bug; IIRC the suggestion that came-up on another thread
>> on the subject of this bug was to rework `about-emacs' so it could host
>> additional information, is this correct?
>
> Possibly...  but "being natively compiled" isn't a binary thing, though:
> I mean, you could have --with-nativecomp, but still be using .elc files
> instead of .eln files.  Or a mixture, which I think would be normal for
> many years.
>
> But I guess that's a detail that wouldn't be that important for most
> people.  I mean, most people are using distributed versions of Emacs,
> and presumably if it has support for native compilation, then the vast
> majority of the Lisp file will also be natively compiled.

Correct, especially considering that unless what is now
`comp-deferred-compilation' is tweaked out of default all files will be
native compiled anyway regardless the fact that they are distributed
already native compiled or not.

That said honestly I've not much idea on how to rework `about-emacs' and
my understanding was that this is a general suggestion not strictly
native-comp related.  If that's the case I'd be for closing this bug as
I think is out of scope for the feature branch, or if I'm wrong here and
there's some suggestion I'm happy to put some effort into as well :)

  Andrea