Subject: bug#43269: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] provide a user feedback on Emacs being native compiled

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 08:03:06 +0000

As suggested opening a new issue to keep on discussing what came-up from

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2020-09/msg00637.html

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> That's a different issue.  The original question was about the splash
> screen and specifically about emacs-version.  I see no reason
> whatsoever to show information about the native compilation there, as
> it's a minor feature that moreover has no effect at all until some
> Lisp files are compiled with it.

For completeness: ATM all code that was byte compiled gets native
compiled automatically.  For this reason it *has* an effect since Emacs
starts.

It is true that from a user perspective everything is going on
transparently but the side effect of the native compilation is the exact
reason why people are using it (read depending on the workload it can be
noticeably faster).

If it's more or less important than say using Cairo that's very much a
POV I think, as I believe is classifying it as "minor feature" (reason
why I'd avoid).

Thanks

  Andrea