Subject: Re: bug#43269: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] provide a user feedback on Emacs being native compiled

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 07:46:23 +0000

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>
>   > As mentioned on the bug list, I'd prefer if user could defer native
>   > compilation to some later time, so as to avoid making the Emacs build
>   > take hours, especially on slow and low-end machines.
>
> I wonder if I would ever see any benefit form the speedup of native
> compilation.  I hardly ever notice waiting for Emacs to do computation.
> But I would find a big slowdown in building to be a pain.

Hi Richard,

It is certainly very workflow dependent.  I think too many don't need
it, for others is the opposite.

> Maybe I would prefer to turn off native compilation, pure and simple.

ATM even in the feature branch this is off by default, must be activated
with a configure switch otherwise just vanilla Emacs is built.

Regards

  Andrea