Subject: Re: bug#43269: 28.0.50; [feature/native-comp] provide a user feedback on Emacs being native compiled

From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 21:20:09 +0000

Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 6:18 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> > From: Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
>> > Cc: [email-masked], Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
>> > Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 10:25:50 +0000
>> >
>> > The summary is that ATM options on the table are:
>> FWIW, I will repeat that my preference is 3.  This information doesn't
>> belong to the version, it belongs to the description of the build's
>> features, and thus to "about Emacs" (which needs to be revamped not to
>> show the same information as the splash screen).
>
> It might be nice to show also whether we are using eln or elc (or el?)
> for individual packages, e.g. from describe-package if not in
> describe-function and friends.
>
> Does that seem useful to others?.

I think is worth considering that:

- the compilation goes by file granularity not package

- unless tweaked out of default all sources gets compiled (before or
  later).  I expect (may be wrong) most people are going to use it this
  way as is the default behavior

You probably know it already but we get this information about single
functions with C-h f.

  Andrea