Subject: Re: bug#43268: Update Org for Emacs 27.2

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 23:49:36 +0100

Hi Kévin,

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mmm, I can name a few somewhat-disruptive changes in 9.4 that might
> throw people off.  For example:
>
> - the new default value for org-startup-folded, as well as some pesky
>   side-effects with logbook visibility[1],

this looks like a bug that needs to be fixed, I will have a look this
week-end.

> - RET and C-j honoring electric-indent-mode (thus bringing Org in line
>   with the rest of Emacs), which has caused some uproar on the mailing
>   list recently[2].

If it makes Org more consistent with other Emacs modes, it looks like
a good change, so I would not discard this one.

> (And then there's everything under "Incompatible changes" in
> ORG-NEWS.)

I don't see anything problematic here.

> It's not my call of course, but I would argue that if we want 27.2 to be
> a no-surprise, bugfix-only release, 9.3.8 would be a safer option.

I think merging Org 9.4.x into Emacs 27.2 is a good way to propagate
latest Org changes, I'm not sure they qualify as "surprising" changes,
but I won't argue.

-- 
 Bastien