Subject: bug#43268: Update Org for Emacs 27.2

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 22:41:43 +0100

Bastien <[email-masked]> writes:

> I will probably release 9.4.1 over the week-end to include the latest
> fixes made in the last two months.
>
> Using 9.4.1 in the Emacs pretest release is safe too.

Mmm, I can name a few somewhat-disruptive changes in 9.4 that might
throw people off.  For example:

- the new default value for org-startup-folded, as well as some pesky
  side-effects with logbook visibility[1],

- RET and C-j honoring electric-indent-mode (thus bringing Org in line
  with the rest of Emacs), which has caused some uproar on the mailing
  list recently[2].

(And then there's everything under "Incompatible changes" in ORG-NEWS.)

It's not my call of course, but I would argue that if we want 27.2 to be
a no-surprise, bugfix-only release, 9.3.8 would be a safer option.

[1] https://orgmode.org/list/[email-masked]/
    tl;dr:

    $ wget https://orgmode.org/list/[email-masked]/2-logbooks.org
    $ emacs -Q 2-logbooks.org
    C-s bug

    - with Org up to 9.3.8, logbooks remain closed;

    - with Org 9.4, logbooks are opened during the search; this adds a
      lot of clutter and robs the user of a lot of context;
      (can reproduce on maint, 2d23d55ac)

    - this can also be reproduced with Org master, 9a154910e, although I
      could have sworn that Ihor (CC'ed) had committed something to
      address this.

[2] https://orgmode.org/list/[email-masked]/t/
    tl;dr:
    Lots of Org users were using RET with electric-indent-mode on,
    unaware that their prose was one TAB away from being indented.  9.4
    made RET honor electric-indent-mode and indents, and much grief
    ensued.
    My (maybe biased) takeway is that the default value of
    org-adapt-indentation should be changed, as evidenced by the
    non-indented reference examples shown on orgmode.org, and the
    .dir-locals.el setting at the root of Org's repo.