Subject: [bug#43257] [PATCH] services: nfs: Require file-systems to be mounted before starting NFS shepherd service.

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 19:50:11 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:47:14 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> No: that just means that ‘virtualized-operating-system’ adds a root file
> system transparently, which is why we can afford not providing one in
> OSes that are only meant to be used through ‘guix system vm’.
> 
> But ‘shepherd-graph’ doesn’t know about that: it takes your OS as is and
> show you the info.

That makes sense.

So that means a user/developer can't use shepherd-graph on VMs :P

That's a very bad user interface.

Especially since if you are using shepherd-graph chances are you already are
diagnosing a problem and don't want to have to diagnose more problems first
in order to solve that one.

Personally I'd make it emit a warning and add a rootfs if it's harmless in
order to have this usecase (using shepherd-graph on VMs) be supported.  If
we want that.

But it's fine for now--I just wanted to make sure to point out the pain points.