Subject: [bug#43257] [PATCH] services: nfs: Require file-systems to be mounted before starting NFS shepherd service.

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 10:23:16 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 09:02:09 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Any suggestions?  :-)
> 
> The only think I could think of is transparently adding a dummy root
> file system for the purposes of ‘shepherd-graph’, but it’s not
> necessarily a good idea either.

It depends on whether we want to have developer tools--but if we do, it would
be nice to be more forgiving on some errors (for example have a "developer"
switch that would add missing fields if they are harmless and don't change
the result.  Or maybe just have a procedure available that would do that
which the dev could add a call to with "-e").

That said, not sure that it's a good idea.

I'm just always logging weird things so we actually can see them.

It's not necessarily something we can (or should) fix :-)

However, this %nfs-os is used almost unchanged for marionette-operating-system.

So I got this idea:

$ ./pre-inst-env guix system shepherd-graph -e '((@ (gnu tests) marionette-operating-system) (@@ (gnu tests nfs) %nfs-os)))'
gnu/tests.scm:161:2: error: missing root file system

... doesn't work either.  Well now that's weird.

That operating-system is eventually passed to "virtual-machine".

So that means we can't use shepherd-graph on VMs?