Subject: [bug#43257] [PATCH] services: nfs: Require file-systems to be mounted before starting NFS shepherd service.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 09:42:58 +0200

Hi Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 10:27:30 +0200
> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Why do we need all of ‘file-systems’ rather than just the state file
>> systems?
>
> It really depends on what one uses it for, but for me it's this use case:
>
> * I have an extra hard drive that contains things I want to serve via
> NFS (it has nothing to do with the root file system).
> * The extra hard drive has to be mounted when NFS service starts up,
> otherwise exportfs errors out:
> If I don't require "file-systems", even if that drive is listed in the
> operating-system's file-systems list, it won't be mounted in time.

Oh, I see.

> I ran into this problem when merging Stefan's 
> new "nfs-root-fs" system test into gnu/tests/nfs.scm .
>
> Does this make sense or is it the wrong solution?

I just realized that these services should just all depend on
‘user-processes’ (which depends on ‘file-systems’).  So you should
probably just do that.

You can double-check with ‘guix system shepherd-graph’ that the
dependency graph looks good.

Thanks,
Ludo’.