Subject: Re: bug#43252: 27.1; DBus properties lack type hints or overrides

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:47:13 +0200

Hugh Daschbach <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Hugh,

>> Anyway, my today's commits shall support now all compound types for
>> properties.
>
> Excellent.  Will try to submit tests for them.

I've just finished my work on dbus-set-property. It shall also keep the
type information of the registered property. Because of this, I've
changed the internal structure of dbus-event; for all arguments the
corresponding type information is propagated now.

You might test this. Given you confirm this functionality, I believe we
can close this bug report now.

>> Maybe one could run two processes in parallel to the tests:
>>
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> dbus-monitor --session "sender=org.gnu.Emacs.TestDBus"
>>
>> dbus-monitor --session "destination=org.gnu.Emacs.TestDBus"
>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> It shall be possible to analyze their structured output.
>
> That idea has taken root.  It'll take me a few days to put together
> reviewable code.  But I've got a good start.

Now that we have type information in dbus-event, I'll start next days to
implement org.freedesktop.DBus.Monitoring.BecomeMonitor
<https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-specification.html#bus-messages-become-monitor>. If
this succeeds, we could implement a counterpart to the dbus-monitor
program in Elisp. And you would be able to access this information
programmatically, including all message and signal call / return
arguments and their types. Let's see.

> Paperwork arrived today.  Signed and submitted.  I expect it'll take a
> bit longer before it's administratively complete.

Good. I'll check the copyright.list file next days regularly, in order
to see whether your name appears. That is the indication that the legal
process has finished.

> More when I have some signature analysis code for your review. It's
> complicated enough to deserve its own tests.

Yep. But you could also wait for some few days, whether the
BecomeMonitor work leads to usable results.

> Cheers,
> Hugh

Best regards, Michael.