Subject: Re: bug#43252: 27.1; DBus properties lack type hints or overrides

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 16:36:47 +0200

Hugh Daschbach <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Hugh,

>> Another problem: The changes I apply do not qualify as bug fixing any
>> longer, so I fear they are not applicable to Emacs 27. I'm working on
>> Emacs' master branch (what will be Emacs 28 later), the patches I
>> have provided to you were backports. Do you have a chance to use
>> Emacs' master branch? This will avoid discussions with the
>> maintainers whether those changes are good for Emacs 27, and it will
>> simplify my life considerably, because the sources for D-Bus in Emacs
>> 27 and 28 differ. I have even applied changes to dbusbind.c, which
>> means it would be harder for you to integrate my patches into Emacs
>> 27.
>
> This all sounds good.  I'd be happy to move my testing to master. I'd
> already realized that part of what I depend on won't make it to 27.

I've pushed a fix to master, which shall solve the problem. Playing with
introspection, I found the problem that it stalls if there are no
introspection data. Not applicable. So I've turned to the alternative
approach, allowing type symbols in `dbus-set-property' and
`dbus-register-property'. You could call now

(dbus-register-property :session "org.gnu.Emacs" "/node1"
 "org.bluez.GattService1" "Device" :readwrite
 :object-path "/path/node1")

Similar in `dbus-set-property'. Documentation is adapted, dbus-tests.el
extended accordingly.

> I'll build master this afternoon.

Good luck! If everything goes well, could you pls check whther this
problem is solved?

> Thanks.
> Hugh

Best regards, Michael.