Subject: bug#43252: 27.1; DBus properties lack type hints or overrides

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 11:51:42 +0200

Hugh Daschbach <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Hugh,

> Fixing that, elp helped me find that the performance hit came from
> mishandling incoming introspection requests in ‘dbus--test-introspect’.

Good to know. Introspection isn't to punish :-)

> I hadn’t registered ‘dbus--test-introspect’ for the two subnodes exposed
> in the xml file.  So introspecting those nodes timed out.  Each timeout
> cost a second.

OK. But maybe you add also one or two tests to check this error functionality.

> I’ve fixed this for the next patch set.  The change was simple enough.
> I think that can wait until the paperwork clears, unless you want an
> earlier look.

Sure, this can wait.

Btw, I have just pushed a larger patch to master. It implements a first
shot on the org.freedesktop.DBus.Monitoring.BecomeMonitor
functionality. If you want to see how it works, just call
(dbus-register-monitor :session) . There will be a new buffer *D-Bus
Monitor*, which shows you D-Bus messages similar to what the UNIX
command "dbus-monitor --session" does. The point is that you can
register your own handler to the monitor; if you don't declare an own
handler, the default handler `dbus-monitor-handler' is taken.

As said, it is just a first shot. Proper documentation is missing, and
not all arguments of `dbus-register-monitor' seem to work as
expected. But you might see which direction it will go; any feedback is
appreciated.

> Cheers,
> Hugh

Best regards, Michael.