Subject: Re: bug#43252: 27.1; DBus properties lack type hints or overrides

From: Hugh Daschbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 18:27:38 -0700

Hugh Daschbach writes:

> I've taken a brief look at performance of the introspection tests.  The
> long pole seems to be ERT, rather than the tests themselves.
>
...
> I'm not well versed in chasing Emacs performance issues, bit this looks
> to me more like testing than introspection overhead.  Any
> suggestions?

Wrong again.  Digging further, I find that my performance tests were in
error.

Fixing that, elp helped me find that the performance hit came from
mishandling incoming introspection requests in ‘dbus--test-introspect’.

I hadn’t registered ‘dbus--test-introspect’ for the two subnodes exposed
in the xml file.  So introspecting those nodes timed out.  Each timeout
cost a second.

I’ve fixed this for the next patch set.  The change was simple enough.
I think that can wait until the paperwork clears, unless you want an
earlier look.

Cheers,
Hugh