Subject: 28.0.50; tramp ignores .ssh/config

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 18:08:18 -0400

I have ~/.ssh/config that says

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Host            fence
HostName        fencepost.gnu.org

Host            *
Compression     yes
ForwardAgent    yes
ForwardX11      no
User            sds
VisualHostKey   no
GSSAPIDelegateCredentials yes
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

so I can do `ssh fence` from shell just fine.

Until recently I could also do

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(copy-file "/scp:fence:~/.newsrc" "~/.newsrc")
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

using tramp, but now I am getting this weird question

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
scp user name for fence (default sam.steingold): 
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

with this stack:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit "")
  signal(quit (""))
  tramp-signal-hook-function(quit (""))
  signal(quit (""))
  tramp-maybe-open-connection((tramp-file-name "scp" nil nil "fence" nil "~/.newsrc" nil))
  tramp-send-command((tramp-file-name "scp" nil nil "fence" nil "~/.newsrc" nil) "cd ~ && pwd")
  tramp-sh-handle-expand-file-name("/scp:fence:~/.newsrc" nil)
  apply(tramp-sh-handle-expand-file-name ("/scp:fence:~/.newsrc" nil))
  tramp-sh-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "/scp:fence:~/.newsrc" nil)
  apply(tramp-sh-file-name-handler expand-file-name ("/scp:fence:~/.newsrc" nil))
  tramp-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "/scp:fence:~/.newsrc" nil)
  file-symlink-p("/scp:fence:~/.newsrc")
  file-chase-links("/scp:fence:~/.newsrc")
...
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

This looks like a newly introduced bug.
Thank you.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 8, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.6 (Build 19G2021))
 of 2020-08-31 built on BZ-C02XR5CGJG5L
Repository revision: 04578c10636fbbd1c1a924404a955eb37ffefd8f
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.6

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libtiff/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libjpeg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
JPEG TIFF PNG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom
gnus-group gnus-undo emacsbug sendmail cl-print debug backtrace
find-func conf-mode misearch multi-isearch gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win dabbrev
network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache
url-auth clhs url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap skeleton tramp-cmds
markdown-mode rx color noutline outline tramp-cache cal-move cal-x view
cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv cal-iso
cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar cal-dst appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs add-log remember tex-mode sh-script smie
executable flyspell ispell make-mode company-oddmuse company-keywords
company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev
company-files company-clang company-template company-cmake company-bbdb
yasnippet-snippets cl-extra yasnippet flymake-proc flymake thingatpt
company-capf company pcase help-fns radix-tree help-mode elpy edmacro
kmacro elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io
esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile
elpy-django s elpy-refactor ido grep compile etags fileloop generator
xref project cus-edit python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver
tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time
iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec comint ansi-color vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher dired-aux dired dired-loaddefs
midnight warnings gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev bbdb bbdb-site
timezone edit-server advice server winner ring which-func imenu paren
help-at-pt desktop frameset cus-start cus-load info package easymenu
browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 385411 16621)
 (symbols 48 27965 4)
 (strings 32 208578 4330)
 (string-bytes 1 5400862)
 (vectors 16 68275)
 (vector-slots 8 1027008 32437)
 (floats 8 890 431)
 (intervals 56 3122 213)
 (buffers 992 56))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1894
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
http://think-israel.org https://www.peaceandtolerance.org/
Incorrect time synchronization.