Subject: Re: bug#43243: emacs-elfeed-org, mapc: Symbol’sfunction definition is void

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2020 19:21:03 +0200

Hello,

I resolved this issue: (obviously) It was my fault, please see below.

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

> Hum?  What is your ’~/.emacs.d/init.el’&co.?  The issue seems the
> loading order.  It could happen with lazy eval &co.  Well, this ’alist’
> is from ’org.el’, so it appears to me a bit weird.

This sentence slowly guided me to the solution: I still had
~/.emacs.d/elpa and after I deleted that, the initial error reported in
this bug disappeared, with another one I discovered later.

AFAIU the error was triggered by the fact that my Emacs (on foreign
distro) was still loading some old code from ~/.emacs.d/elpa, installed
using use-package (mixed with Debian packages in some case) before I
migrated to Guix Emacs.

All this confusion comes from the fact that before upgrading to 27.1 I
was using the same version (26.3) installed from Debian and then
migrated to Guix: this way, apart some strange warning I fully
understand only today, my Emacs Guix was running fine as before.  So
when I upgraded I misintepreted the situation as coming from some
problem of elfeed-org with 27.1.

Probably we should add a warning in our manual to avoid other users on
foreign distros will get in similar situations: I'd like to help but I'm
not sure I'll be able to find the right words.

Simon: about my strange use of

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

 (unless (require 'guix-emacs nil 'noerror)
  (use-package

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I think is a tengent here, so if you agree I'd discuss it on guix-users
(IMHO is OT on guix-devel).

Re. this bug, I think the situation is clear now and if you agree I'd
close it.

Thanks a lot! Emacs-Fu panda Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures