Subject: bug#43243: emacs-elfeed-org, mapc: Symbol’s function definition is void

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 20:08:12 +0200

Hi simon

thank you for your support.

I'm not very good in the triage of this bug: after a lot of trial and
error I was almost sure I found a conflicting package (emacs-hl-todo,
required by emacs-magit-todos) BUT I was NOT able to reproduce the bug
in a pure environment

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

$ guix environment --pure --ad-hoc emacs emacs-elfeed-org emacs-magit-todos -- emacs --debug-init

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In that environment's emacs session I get an init.el loading error, but
I'm able to eval-buffer this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

(require 'elfeed-org)
(elfeed-org)
;; Optionally specify a number of files containing elfeed
;; configuration. If not set then the location below is used.
(setq rmh-elfeed-org-files (list "~/.emacs.d/elfeed.org"))
(global-set-key (kbd "C-x w") 'elfeed)
(setq-default elfeed-search-filter "+unread ")
(add-hook 'elfeed-new-entry-hook
          (elfeed-make-tagger :before "9 weeks ago"
                              :remove 'unread))

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

But I have to do that 4 times since I get this error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

org-link-set-parameters: Symbol’s function definition is void: org-element-update-syntax [3 times]

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

After that I'm able to open elfeed, with feeds managed by elfeed-org: it
works.

So the problem is something else, probably...

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 20:12, Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> File mode specification error: (void-function org--check-org-structure-template-alist) [2 times]
>> Followed link to /home/giovanni/.dotfolder/emacs/.emacs.d/elfeed.org
>> mapc: Symbol’s function definition is void:
>> org--check-org-structure-template-alist
>
> Hum?  What is your ’~/.emacs.d/init.el’&co.?  The issue seems the
> loading order.  It could happen with lazy eval &co.  Well, this ’alist’
> is from ’org.el’, so it appears to me a bit weird.

Yes, AFAIU it's really a loading order triggered error... and I'm not
able to debug this :-(

My init.el is pretty long and convoluted and without many comments, I'm
attaching it at the end of this message.

Using the attached manifest (emacs-guix.scm), I still the same error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

mapc: Symbol’s function definition is void: org--check-org-structure-template-alist

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

with the same backtrace reported in the first message of this bug report.

>> Tomorrow I'll try to catch what's the conflicting package, now I'm using
>> this manifest:
>
> I have noticed that you use ’ghc-pandoc’.  Except if you require
> “pandoc” as an Haskell library for linking, what you want is probably
> the package ’pandoc’ (introduced by e380ef14cf).

I've now fixed this, thanks!

All the best, Gio'.

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures