Subject: Re: bug#43226: 28.0.50; Running Tramp tests on MS-Windows leaves zombie processes on the remote

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 17:54:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Eli,

> Just to be sure I test this correctly: after installing the change and
> compiling tramp-cmds.el, I run the test tramp-test30-make-process
> twice.  What I see after the first run is that 2 'cat' processes (each
> one with 2 sshd) and one /bin/sh process (with 2 sshd processes of its
> own) are left behind.  After the second run, I see 4 'cat' processes
> (each one with 2 sshd) and the same single /bin/sh process with its 2
> sshd processes.  Thus my conclusion is that sending EOF to the
> processes doesn't help.

Yes, this is right. I have no idea how else we could kill the remote
processes, prior killing the local plink.

We could send the "exit" command. But the idea of
tramp-cleanup-connection is to unblock a remote connection. Sending just
another command doesn't sound like TRT.

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.