Subject: Carbon Emacs 23.1; first ESC and C-x are always eaten

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 21:19:07 +0200

Hello!

I compiled this Carbon variant today with:

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0  
AppKit 824.48)
  of 2009-09-02 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.4.11
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-mac' '--enable-mac-app' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -gfull -mtraceback=full -Wno-pointer-sign -H - 
pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree- 
vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -fthread-jumps - 
fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'LDFLAGS=-dead_strip -multiply_defined  
suppress' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Key bindings which start with ESC or C-x only work when I type ESC or  
C-x twice. When I type C-h k ESC C-x C-x ESC C-g and then try to list  
my input with C-h l I see:

	C-h k C-x <escape> C-g C-h l

This also "works" when I launch Carbon Emacs with -Q.

The *Messages* buffer starts with

	Warning: arch-dependent data dir (..../emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/ 
Contents/MacOS/bin/) does not exist.

This references a directory outside where I compiled Carbon Emacs  
23.1...

Carbon Emacs 23.1 should load ucs-normalize from GNU Emacs 23.1.50:

     (require 'ucs-normalize)
     (setq file-name-coding-system	'utf-8-hfs)
     (prefer-coding-system		'utf-8-hfs)

Otool -l reveals that these libraries are used in /Applications/ 
Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs:

	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version  
22.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Carbon  
(compatibility version 2.0.0, current version 128.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa  
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/ 
CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 18.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/QuickTime  
(compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1327.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current  
version 9.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libXau.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current  
version 7.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libXdmcp.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0,  
current version 7.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libXrender.1.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,  
current version 5.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libcairo.2.dylib (compatibility version 10803.0.0,  
current version 10803.8.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.3.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0,  
current version 8.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libexpat.1.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0,  
current version 7.2.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0,  
current version 6.1.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0,  
current version 10.20.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version  
1601.0.0, current version 1601.5.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 2001.0.0,  
current version 2001.4.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version  
2001.0.0, current version 2001.4.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libgobject-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version  
2001.0.0, current version 2001.4.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0,  
current version 8.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current  
version 9.2.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,  
current version 5.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libpixman-1.0.dylib (compatibility version 17.0.0,  
current version 17.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib (compatibility version 39.0.0,  
current version 39.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/librsvg-2.2.dylib (compatibility version 29.0.0,  
current version 29.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current  
version 1.2.3)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current  
version 88.1.12)
	/usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version  
92.0.0)

--
Greetings

   Pete

If it should exist, it doesn't.
				– Arnold's First Law of Documentation