Subject: bug#43207: closed (Re: bug#43207: 26.3; Strange bidi behavior)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 00:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43207: 26.3; Strange bidi behavior

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43207: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43207
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#43207: 26.3; Strange bidi behavior
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,Niels Möller <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 00:09:57 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> tags 43207 notabug
> thanks

I'm therefore closing this bug report.

Subject: 26.3; Strange bidi behavior
From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 21:36:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I get a pretty confusing behavior when I load the file at

  https://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/misc/emacs-bidi-bug-2.txt

This is what it looks like

  https://www.lysator.liu.se/~nisse/misc/emacs-bidi-bug-2.png

I'll try to describe the behavior I get when loading the file with

  emacs -Q emacs-bidi-bug-2.txt

(I'm not sure exactly what intended behavior is, but what I see is quite
confusing). The file contains some arabic characters (originating in a
discussion of the vatican reportedly registering an arabic domain name
meaning "katholic"), followed by some Swedish text.

The Swedish text is displayed mostly in left-to-right order (except for
punctuation characters), but right-justified in the buffer, and to me it
seems like some parts of emacs thinks the text is rendered
right-to-left.

More specifically, C-f moves point in the expected "logical order" of
the text, which is mostly to the right on the screen. However pressing
the right-arrow key (bound to right-char) moves cursor to the left on
most parts of this text (the opposite direction of C-f (forward-char)),
despite the text being rendered in left-to-right order.

I would have expected the later part of the file to be displayed
left-justified in left-to-right order, with the exception of the single
word "كاثولي" rendered right-to-left.

Regards,
/Niels

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20)
 of 2020-05-17, modified by Debian built on x86-csail-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
 11.0.12004000

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/26.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-mHAik2/emacs-26.3+1=.
 -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lyskom-elisp-client hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/lyskom-elisp-client/lyskom-elisp-client

Features:
(pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils parse-time browse-url wid-edit
network-stream puny nsm rmc seq auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache starttls tls gnutls lyskom-rest
string lyskom-menus lyskom-ansaphone lyskom-messages mship-edit
lyskom-cache lyskom-services lyskom-mime lyskom-aux-items lyskom-command
advice lyskom-clienttypes lyskom-types lyskom-language-sv lyskom-strings
lyskom-language lyskom-macros lyskom-vars lyskom-feature lyskom-defvar
lyskom edmacro kmacro cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
thingatpt cl-extra help-fns radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs
cl-lib elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 264803 23621)
 (symbols 48 30298 0)
 (miscs 40 845 608)
 (strings 32 61450 3495)
 (string-bytes 1 1701594)
 (vectors 16 37130)
 (vector-slots 8 1636019 140596)
 (floats 8 99 394)
 (intervals 56 3949 356)
 (buffers 992 21))

-- 
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid 368C6677.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.