Subject: Re: bug#4318: 23.1; trouble indenting looooong lines with visual-line-mode

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:56:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The extra line stands for the space that is not shown.  If you place
> the cursor on that "empty line" and type "C-x =", you will see that
> point is before the space character, not before newline.
>
> So I think visual-line-mode (a.k.a. "word wrap") behaves correctly.
> Doing what the OP asks for would also have undesirable side effects,
> albeit different ones.  E.g., adding some non-white character at the
> beginning of that line will suddenly and mysteriously move the
> "xxxx..." part one line down.

I think that's probably desired.

The point of `visual-line-mode' is to (visually) do word wrap between
words to keep lines short(ish).  Folding before there even has been a
word looks odd to me.

On the other hand, it does make the lines visually shorter, so it's
debatable...

> And that's even before I consider the potential complications of the
> code, which already tracks the word wrap mode with no less than 12
> state variables...

:-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/