Subject: bug#43173: closed (Re: Ensure that the correct linux-libre deblobbing scripts are used)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 20:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#43173: Ensure that the correct linux-libre deblobbing scripts are used

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
43173: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=43173
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: Ensure that the correct linux-libre deblobbing scripts are used
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 16:01:39 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sat, Sep 05, 2020 at 07:07:01PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > That's better than what I had in mind — thank you! I've attached a
> > revised patch.
> > From 6cbdf7e70ba0d9b98171a425bd249c702f8286de Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> > From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 14:46:04 -0400
> > Subject: [PATCH] gnu: linux-libre: Enforce the use of the correct deblobbing
> >  scripts.
> >
> > * gnu/packages/linux.scm (deblob-scripts-5.8, deblob-scripts-5.4,
> > deblob-scripts-4.19, deblob-scripts-4.14, deblob-scripts-4.9,
> > deblob-scripts-4.4): Use the respective LINUX-LIBRE-X.Y-VERSION variables.
> 
> This new patch looks good to me.  Feel free to push.

Thanks for your review! Pushed as fe752d8c4545735edd71362805cbe78b78b8e9ab

Subject: Ensure that the correct linux-libre deblobbing scripts are used
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2020 14:29:22 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In recent discussions [0], people raised the possibility that we might
accidentally leave non-free firmware blobs in our linux-libre packages.

If I understand correctly, the root of the issue is that, currently, we
manually specify the versions of the deblobbing scripts. They are not
changed with every linux-libre release, so it is usually okay to use an
older version number — the scripts themselves will be identical.
However, sometimes the scripts do change, and we might not notice, and
thus we would fail to remove every blob from the kernel sources.

These two patches should make that failure mode impossible, by 1) making
sure that the file names of the deblobbing scripts' store items include
the full version number of the kernel and 2) only defining the version
in one place. The hashes of the deblob scripts will be checked
automatically when Guix downloads them for each new kernel release.

I had to move the linux-libre-nnn-version variables to an earlier part
of the file, so that they are defined when referenced in the
deblob-scripts-nnn procedures. I regret changing the way this code is
organized... your advice is welcome!

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-08/msg00040.html